Wednesday 28 August 2019

My Heart Is Ready: Profession of Solemn Vows



Pure Joy. Deep Peace. Wonder and Awe. 
God’s Generous Love. Much Goodness. Holy Spirit Present. 
Held by the Saints. Surrounded by Holiness. A New Chapter. 
Gift. Humbled. Hope. 
Fraternity and Community. True Celebration. Powerful. 
Jesus – Emmanuel – God With Us. Family. Sacred Bonds. 
Past – Present – Future. Lesser Brother. Gospel Life Awakened. 
Honest. Challenging and Rewarding. Amazed. 
Grateful. Woven into my History. We are God’s Vessels. 
Voices Raised in Praise. Power of Prayer. Impacting. 
Here and Now. Walk with St. Francis. God Blessed Big Time.

My heart is ready, O God, my heart is ready. - Psalm 57.7


For the past few days I have been trying to find the right words to describe the experience of making my Solemn Profession. The above list seems to best capture the events leading up to, the ceremony itself and the immediate events after my Profession of Solemn Vows on August 23. I continue to let these statements take hold of my heart. I will continue to allow them shape my life as Solemnly Professed Friar (and if I forget, you may remind me.)


Over the next few posts I will share some more insights from the celebration. I will speak of scripture, music, people and the vows themselves. For now I leave you with some final thoughts I shared that evening.


St. Francis of Assisi you touch something in my depth and awaken me to the beauty of gospel living. Each day you invite me to journey with you in the footsteps of Christ. Thank you, my Brother. Pray for me. Pray for us.

St. Clare of Assisi your wisdom and light help keep me focused on Christ. You continually nudge me into knowing the depths of God’s love more. Thank you, my Sister. Pray for me. Pray for us.

Come Holy Spirit and renew the face of the earth and renew us.

This journey began with a question “Why the heck aren’t you a Friar?” In that moment of wonder and awe; of stunned silence; of my heart doing flips, my vocation was brought to light. God works in beautiful, unique and mysterious ways. I am in awe of how our Emmanuel – God With Us - continues to awaken us to the depths of love, the power of charity, certain hope, true faith and the gift of another and all of creation.

To God all praise and glory is due! To Christ all praise and glory is due!
To the Holy Spirit all praise and glory is due!
To our Triune God my life is full of thanksgiving!
To God I offer you my heart each day and say:
“My heart is ready, O God, my heart is ready!”


Thank you for journeying with me to my Solemn Vows, 
let us continue the journey from here for as St. Francis once said, 
"up to now we have done very little."

Thank You for your prayers and support,
I humbly ask for your continued prayers
for myself and the Franciscans in Canada.




No comments:

Post a Comment