Friday 13 March 2020

Lent 3: Tired Out



The gospels are full of great stories, this is no surprise. The season of Lent provides us with several stories about people and their relationship with Christ. The story of the Samaritan woman at the well (John 4.5-42) is one of these great stories. The story about the interaction between Jesus and this woman and then the response of the disciples and the people of Sychar is very intriguing. Time and time again when we hear or read this gospel story, we often see reflections of our life in the characters. There is a line however, which stands out to me more so this year as I read this scripture.

“Jesus, tired out by his journey, was sitting by the well.” John 4.6



It is a simple line, one that often gets passed over for the more powerful lines of this story, such as “Give me drink.” or “If you knew the gift of God… he would have given you living water.” or “Sir, give me this water, so that I may never be thirsty.” or “I am he.”  The power of the dialogue of this text is rich and plentiful and wakens us to the stirrings of our hearts, our struggles and our thirsts. However, I believe that this little about Jesus being tired near the start of the story gives us much to reflect on.

Jesus like us in all things but sin knows what it is like to be tired out. Have you ever considered this? I know that I don’t consider this very often, but it has captured my heart and thoughts today. It is causing me to pause and to consider what is causing me to be tired, what tires me out and to ask if I am spending enough time resting at the well of living water?


Come all you who are tired from the days work and daily demands.
Come all you who are tired of the burdens of responsibilities too great to carry.
Come all you who are tired because of sickness and appointments.

Come and rest by the well of Living Water.

Come all you who are tired from the chaos that bombards the news.
Come all you who are tired of the loneliness that surrounds you.
Come all you who are tired because of fear grasping holding of your life.

Come and rest by the well of Living Water.

Come all you who are tired from the poor choices made long ago.
Come all you who are tired of family conflicts and brokenness.
Come all you who are tired because of lack of support and answers.

Come and rest by the well of Living Water.

Come all you who are tired from saying yes and meeting expectations.
Come all you who are tired of regret which leads to shame.
Come all you who are tired because community is an illusion.

Come and rest by the well of Living Water.

Come all you who are tired from living a lie.
Come all you who are tired of empty sermons and liturgies.
Come all you who are tired because your ideas feel lifeless.

Come and rest by the well of Living Water.

Come all you who are tired from having to deal with hurts.
Come all you who are tired of false promises.
Come all you who are tired because of poverty and needs not met.

Come and rest by the well of Living Water.

Come all you who are tired from too much information.
Come all you who are tired of having to be on all the time.
Come all you who are tired because rest is for those we deem lazy.

Come and rest by the well of Living Water.

Come all you who are tired from being a lone voice.
Come all you who are tired of the lack of action for justice.
Come all you are tired because your faith feels weak.

Come and rest by the well of Living Water.

Come all you who are tired from the state of panic our world is in.
Come all you who are tired of us forgetting we are all one family.
Come all you who are tired because the well feels so far away or overcrowded.

Come and rest by the well of Living Water.




I have found that in my constant going and doing I lead myself to empty seeking and filling up on non-essentials which is not the life-giving water Jesus offers time and again. Jesus gives living water everyday, enough to ease our burdens and enough to call us to life. I know I come to him time and again and say, “give me this water” and he always responds and I am nourished and replenished. He chooses time and again to stay with me and gives me living water, for “God’s love has been poured into our hearts through the Holy Spirit that has been given us” (Romans 5.5).

Jesus being tired out gives me hope for the days that feel way too long, the days which go off the rails, and the days when too much information fills my mind. Jesus resting at the well reminds me that I too must stop and be from the long journeys of the mind, of the body and of the soul. Jesus resting at the well reminds me that if the Saviour of the world took time to rest so must I so I can go forth to share what I have heard and seen.


As our world deals with the crisis at hand, let us be mindful that many are tired and many need support to ease their tiredness. How can we offer rest for the weary and tired even in this crisis? Together we are family, and although isolation may be the new norm for now, let us not become isolated cutting ourselves off from each other, the greater good of humanity and our true source of Living Water. How can we offer life-giving water at this time for those who most need it? Let us not forget that we are called in hope and to be hope.



In this Lenten week ahead in all that tires you out may you find rest at the well, there you will find Jesus with Living Water.








No comments:

Post a Comment