Monday 11 November 2013

Freedom and Faith


 
November 11 – Remembrance Day has always stirred my heart: the reason why we stop, the pageantry, the honoring, the sounds and music, the silence, and the brilliance of a red poppy.

 
As we ponder and reflect on the freedom we enjoy, the freedom we sometimes take for granted or abuse, I am in awe of those who willingly went to battle and continue to work in war-torn areas of our world to try and achieve peace. I am grateful for their bravery and their commitment. It is because of this bravery and commitment that we live in a great country and have so many opportunities and privileges.


I truly believe it is up to us, those who have not seen war, to promote remembering on November 11 and to take up the cause for peace. We need to take the time to pause and show our respect on November 11 and tell others: children, new Canadians, neighbors, even family why we do what we do. This leads us to being makers of peace. As peace begins in our own hearts and in our own families and in our own communities.


 

I am reminded that I have the freedom to pray and express my faith because of the freedom that this country enjoys. I am reminded that brothers and sisters around the world do not enjoy this freedom.

I am reminded that Christ is the Prince of Peace and when I stop and am quiet with my God, I encounter this settling peace. I am reminded to take this peace beyond my prayers and bring it to my world.
 
I am reminded that conflicts (although small) arise every day and it is up to me to approach these conflicts with faith and peace. I am reminded that God gives me the gifts and skills to do so.

I am reminded to walk humbly with my God and to journey deeper and deeper into peace with my Savior. I am reminded to be an instrument of love, an instrument of hope, an instrument of peace.

 
As I journey through this Postulancy Year, I am becoming more and more aware of the gift of peace that wills to settle within us. I appreciate the moments of peace that each day brings and I strive to help achieve freedom in not only in my own life but also in the lives of brothers, sisters and in our community. My faith calls me to do so.
 
Saint Francis is often credited with prayers for peace, I leave you with this thought, it opened my eyes again to freedom and faith.

“For Saint Francis peace is one of the greatest gifts,
for in peace all the other virtues grow
and because it is the gift Jesus
left us after his Resurrection.”   
– Murray Bodo

 


Lest We Forget

 

The Lord Give You Peace

No comments:

Post a Comment