Sunday 6 September 2015

Ephphatha

Jesus to him, "Ephphatha," that is, "Be opened." - Gospel of Mark - Chapter 7

Ephphatha
 
Be opened my heart
to God that stirs and lives in me,
 
Be opened my mind
to know God's wisdom speaks to me,
 
Be opened my eyes
to see God all around me,
 
Be opened my ears
to hear God's voice in my neighbour,
 
Be opened my hands
to serve God each day,
 
Be opened my life
to God at work in me,
 
Be opened my ways
to do everything well,
(and when I don't to have the strength to begin again),
 
Be opened
to Christ walking with me,
 
Be opened
to the Spirit guiding me,
 
Be opened...
 
Be open.
 
This week has been about being open that is for sure! Lots to adjust to, process, embrace, learn, be informed about, grow in and discover. It is about being open, and so I venture forth reminding myself to be open and to trust.
 
This need for openness and trust reminds me of these words from St. Francis de Sales. They seem to tie in nicely with my prayer above.
 
How to Face the Storms in Life
Do not look forward in fear
to the changes in life;
rather, look to them with
full hope that as they arise,
God, whose very own you are,
will lead you safely
through all things;
and when you cannot stand it,
God will carry you in his arms.
 
Do not fear
what may happen tomorrow;
the same understanding Father
who cares for you today will take
care of you then and every day.
He will either shield you
from suffering
or will give you unfailing
strength to bear it. 
 
Be at peace,
and put aside all anxious
thoughts and imaginations.



No comments:

Post a Comment