Wednesday 17 August 2016

No Matter What... God's Generosity


I am currently on retreat with my brother Friars and today I was given the privilege to 'preach'/ share a reflection at Mass . It was the first time I have had this opportunity to break open God's word with all my brothers. It was truly a graced time for me and I would like to share with you my reflection.

The reading was Ezekiel 34.1-11 - about bad shepherds, the psalm with 23 - the Lord is my Shepherd and the Gospel was Matthew 20.1-16a - the parable of the landowner and the day labourers going out at various times. 

Below is my reflection based on these readings.  



                Today the Church in Canada recognizes someone who may be an obscure Canadian, Blessed Elisabeth Turgeon. Blessed Elisabeth had significant impact on the early church of Canada in several ways as a teacher, formator, for her ardent faith, generous charity and as the foundress of The Sisters of Our Lady of the Holy Rosary. She was declared blessed in April 2015. She is quoted as saying “Consider everything before God; he will inspire you with the knowledge of what to do.” These words of wisdom struck me as I sought God’s inspiration on what to do about this reflection but also her thought on considering “everything before God” is what is at the heart of today’s scripture; God’s abundant merciful and justice-filled generosity.

The words from Ezekiel remind us of our God who pursues us even when we have been left alone, scattered, and not feed. Psalm 23 is the familiar hymn of God’s abundance that is rich and overflowing. As we ponder the parable from the gospel we are challenged to see that God’s generosity is for everyone rich and poor, the long serving labrourer and those who join last minute, the first and the last.  As I pondered over these readings I was and continue to wonder if we truly appreciate God’s generosity or simply become like the first labourers in the parable, complaining about our ‘wage’. We really have nothing to grumble about do we?   

I have no big story about how I discovered God’s generosity, no amazingly woven tale, rather a simple list (I love lists) of simple things that have spoken to me about this gift.  A list that hopefully we can all relate to.

            Looking back over the past year and past few weeks God’s generosity is obvious in the way:

I have been warmly welcomed by the brothers with whom I live, and also by classmates, new friends, familiar faces and even strangers.

I have been reminded of and encouraged to share my skills and talents by my formators and community.

I have been challenged to grow, to expand my horizons and to dream new dreams by my spiritual director, in relationship with others and through the evaluation process of being a simply professed friar.

I have experienced the abundant gift of creation – amazing views from prairie skies, to mountain tops, to valley bottoms, storms sweeping across the city, the warm rays of the sun, the crisp winter air and bounteous harvests.

I have gained in knowledge and experience through schooling, adventures and conversation.

I have treasures richer than gold in family, fraternity and friends.

And in all of this I realize that I and assume all of us are sometimes like the labourer who starts early, at other times like the one who starts at noon and yet at other times the one who starts at end of day…no matter what we always benefit from God’s generosity. Really do we have anything to grumble against in this generosity shown us? No… not at all. (Dear Lord help us to remember your generosity abounds no matter what.)  
Today at Retreat, Francisco has challenged us to look at the mission of Christ – Luke 4.18-19 – anointed to bring good news, proclaim liberty, recover sight to the blind, let the oppressed go free and proclaim God’s favor – this is only possible by trusting in the generosity of our God.

God’s Generosity Abounds:

Whether we are a grazing sheep or bold shepherd:

            Whether we are broken down or made whole:

            Whether we are lost or have been found:

- God’s generosity abounds.

            Whether we are prey for others or have become healthy nourishment:

            Whether the Word seems empty or it stirs deep within us:

            Whether we are in want or have plenty:

- God’s generosity abounds.

Whether we are in a barren land or lush green pastures:

            Whether we are filled with fear or have found great comfort:

            Whether we hunger and thirst or sit at table prepared with cup overflowing:

- God’s generosity abounds.

            Whether we are facing hurt and shame or are surrounded by goodness and mercy:

            Whether we feel like we have nothing to offer or have an abundance to share:

Whether we struggle to share our gifts or give of them endlessly:

- God’s generosity abounds

Whether we labour from morning to night or only a brief hour:

- God’s generosity abounds.


This is our God who is slow to anger, rich in mercy, whose justice is everlasting and whose generosity is a gift for the first and the last. God is generous always, even when we are not or do not know how to be. “God’s awesome goodness and superabundance is so amazing that when we feel that we have merited some sort of reward, God pours out even more than what we have allotted for ourselves and others.” (JV) This is the superabundant mercy, justice and generosity of our God.

St. Francis provides another way to consider today’s parable. In his Admonitions he says: “Blessed is the servant who no more exalts himself over the good the Lord says or does through him than over what He says or does through another.” (Admonition XVII) Indeed a reminder of God’s generosity. Indeed a reminder that we are all workers in the vineyard, with varying skills and abilities, but all provided for by our generous God.

As we contemplate the richness of our lives, let us reflect on the generosity of the cross of Christ, let us continually seek nourishment from the Word of God and the Eucharist, and let us go forth to glorify God by choosing to be generous with what has been given to us and what is ours to give …our lives.

Let us consider everything before God.

Amen.

A Special Celebration:
I also renewed my vows for another year. It is official I am now entering my second year as a simple professed friar.  It is a simple celebration but one that truly launches me into the next year. Surrounded by my brothers and my formation team I was able to place my hands into the hands of our Provincial Minister and profess my vows. The journey continues because of the grace and generosity of God, because of support of family, friends and brothers and because I continually open myself up to God at work in my life. I truly am amazed with this adventure.
I truly rely on the gift of prayer and so I humbly ask for your prayers as this journey continues and I deepen my Franciscan walk.
I also ask that you pray for my Brother Donald who is beginning his first year of vows (he has just return from Novitiate making his vows on August 2) and for my Brother Joe who will make his solemn vows this week.
Donald, Joe, Michael, ofm

Blessed Elisabeth Turgeon - Pray for us!

St. Francis & Sr. Clare - Pray for us!



No comments:

Post a Comment