Saturday 10 December 2016

Advent Road


The right shoes and the properly packed backpack have had me thinking about the actual Advent road/path/journey. I have been thinking about the many paths we are on and the people we encounter. We do not walk this path alone, no, we walk it with people from all walks of life who “await the feast of the Lord’s Nativity.”


The prophet Isaiah (35.1-6a, 10) gives us some idea of who we might encounter on this Advent trip. He suggests that we are among the weak, feeble, fearful, blind, lame, deaf and mute. Yes, you and I are counted among this group! That is not always easy to embrace but it is so true.
How often are we:
the weak because we are tired of the obstacles of the journey?
the fearful because we feel inadequate or that we lack skills?
the feeble because we stumble along uncertain of where we are going?
the blind because we close ourselves off from the light of Christ?
the lame because we choose to limit ourselves and others around us?
the deaf because we do not hear the words of God spoken in our daily life?
the mute because we close ourselves off to life-giving gifts that our poured daily into our lives?

I look at my own Advent path and know that I can easily let obstacles weigh me down from entering in. I know that I can be afraid that I won’t get it all done or I’m not doing it correctly or I am not skilled enough to be on the path (which is a total lie – we are all called to the path no matter what and can each offer who we are). I ponder if I put up my own blinders up so that I do not see those around me who need some light shed on their path. I wonder how often I limit myself because it is safer than embracing how the Spirit is at work in me. My own Advent path has called me to be attentive to others, to listen to them and how God is speaking through them (like God always has through those around us), yet I seem to stuff my ears full so I can’t hear what I need to hear. And finally I wonder if I let myself be mute instead of sharing a kind word, forgiving a hurt or being supportive.
 
Sometimes we get stuck in a rut in our path. Sometimes we let the pressures of society guide our Advent journey. Sometimes we have a blowout and are left stranded on the side of the road wondering what to do next. Sometimes we forget that we are journeying to the One who strengthens the weak, makes firm the feeble, gives courage to the fearful, opens the eyes of the blind, makes the lame leap, makes the deaf to hear and the mute to sing (see the above Isaiah quote).
Yes it is he, Emmanuel who comes to us and does not leave us on the path but rather draws us to himself and invites to embrace the good news of our salvation.
 
Where are we on our Advent path?
Who is traveling with us?
How are we traveling?
What do we need to let go of so we can make the rest of the journey (approximately 12 days)?
Who do we see around us on the path?
Who needs us to bring hope to them so they can make it to the crib? Who is weak, afraid, blind, lame or deaf this season and needs us to walk with them (remember we are not alone)?

Like John the Baptist, we must hear that Jesus is indeed the One who gives sight, makes the lame walk, cleanses the leper, makes the deaf hear and proclaims good news to the poor (Matthew 11.2-11). We must let Christ enter into the journey with us so we indeed may find him at the crib and in our hearts.

Think of Mary and Joseph, that is exactly what they did. They let Christ enter their journey and hearts well before they held him as their son, and they let his light guide their saying ‘yes’ and to journeying with them to the Bethlehem stall. They choose not to remain in darkness, we are offered the same on this Advent journey.
What step do we need to make next?
What is holding us back?
Where is the light being shed on our path?
We have nothing to fear, for God is with us and says, “Be strong and do not fear.”
We are called to walk in the light and the light grows brighter by the week (3 candles now aglow on the Advent wreath).

Let us continue to tread the Advent path together, for we all desire to make it the crib. Some of us may need a bit more support (let us be aware of those around us), but together is the best way to journey to Christmas.
Continued Blessings of hope, peace, joy and love
as we journey to the light of the crib,
the light of the world:
Christ Jesus - Emmanuel!
 
 
 

No comments:

Post a Comment