Wednesday 28 June 2017

Why I Celebrate Canada Day and Why I Celebrate Canada 150


Canada Day is near and over the past few weeks there has been increased advertising, stories and headlines about the day and the celebrations this year to mark 150 years of confederation. Some have been positive and inspiring, others have been filled with hurt, others have been hateful and still others have left me wondering about how we really see the gift that is our nation. This has had me pondering why I celebrate Canada Day each year (and really any opportunity I can) and why this year I have and will continue to Canada 150. 

Canada is not perfect, we have our struggles and issues. We have not always been fair to each other or have listened to each other, we have not always shown respect to each other or to the land, we have not necessarily learned from our mistakes and sometimes have been caught up in unnecessarily regrettable and poor choices, but still this country is home, it is my home, it is our home. Since it is home we have to take care of it, we are part of an ongoing dialogue that contributes to either good or bad, life or death. We have the freedom to choose and if we truly care about Canada (the country, the land and the people) the choice becomes easy.

Canada comes from the Huron-Iroquois word meaning “village”. How powerful that is when we consider the age old adage: “it takes a village to raise a child.” When we consider our nation as a village it gives a deeper sense of respect and value for each member from the leader to the weakest, from the determined to the struggling, from the humbled to the proud, from the child in the womb to the elder... we are a village. Tom Jackson, the Canadian born Métis actor, recently said “Canada is a diverse country, but color goes away in family.” How true and what a great challenge for us as we step foot out of our homes into our village and a reason to celebrate.

Canada is the only village I and so many others know as home, it is where I took my first steps and where I hope to take my last. I know that this does not make the land my own, there have been peoples who have tread this land, breathed this air and drank of this water hundreds and thousands of years before I ever did. It is in the strength and determination and care and awareness of these people that this land has become what we call Canada. A place to call home and a place to celebrate.

Canada is also the village that welcomes people from all over the world, with diverse backgrounds and ways of life. It is safe haven for those fleeing war and it is a new start for so many who cannot survive elsewhere. Yet we still have work to do, as fellow Canadians do not have fresh drinking water or proper shelter and this is where we must reflect on the strength, determination and wisdom of those who were here before 1867. Those whose ancestors knew this land long before any settler stepped foot onto it and were the first to welcome the foreigner and show them the way. Some of these meetings may have resulted in the guest being greedy at times and at other times may have resulted in tensions that broke down the “peaceable kingdom” but we must learn from this and move forward as one family. We must also consider the hard work and hope of not only First Nations people but also the pioneers who came to Canada to begin a new and create a home… I truly believe home is the key or root word that binds us in a love of this land no matter who we are or our background. Another reason to celebrate.


Canada is a land of amazing beauty that captivates all our senses. Our national motto is “from sea to sea” and how this rings true of the diversity of not just the people but of this great land from seas and lakes and rivers to mountains and hills and valleys, from the prairies to the forests, from the cold of winter to the heat of summer, from creatures great to creatures small, from brilliant skies of the day to the amazing skies of the night… all of this is what makes our village, our nation so astounding. It calls out to us to touch it with respect and to heal it where it is hurting. It calls out to us to preserve for those who will celebrate Canada 250 and those who will come here to visit and be in awe. It calls out to us to remember that she – our Mother Earth- was here long before any of us started dividing her up and calling her ours. The beauty of Canada is inspiring and life-giving and that is a reason to celebrate.

I come from Saskatchewan and our provincial motto is “from many people strengths.” This motto combined with our national motto of “from sea to sea” is the greatest reason I celebrate Canada 150 and Canada Day. The strength of many people united means we work together and work hard for each other. It means we show respect to the land which provides and for each other – no matter what walk of life we come from. It means we remember our heritage as a people, as a nation, as a community, as a family and use this as a way to build community and learn from each other – it does not mean that we deny each other the values that shape us as individuals. It means we strive for good and when we fail each other we seek forgiveness and celebrate reconciliation and newly forged path towards freedom. It means we respect freedom and honor the dignity of each person of the Canadian village. It means we ask questions not make assumptions, it means we go out of our comfort zones and learn about each other, it means we open our homes and hearts so as to strengthen the village and each other. Truly a reason to celebrate.

Celebrating Canada Day and Canada 150 is beyond this year. It challenges me to look back and be grateful for all that I have been blessed with because Canada is my home. It also challenges me to look ahead to see how I can contribute to the good of our nation and how I can ensure the next generation will see the value in our village and the gift of each member that makes up this great nation. I come again to the words of Tom Jackson from his closing address at the Order of Canada ceremony in mid-June. He walked over to the Canada flag and took it in his hand and said:

“This maple leaf is my sister.

I love the maple leaf, she is my sister…

And maybe for five seconds you can believe that I am your brother…

1…2…3…4…5…

Now how do you see the flag?”



I am thankful for his remarks and I am moved to tears every time I ponder his words. That is the Canada I call home, that is the Canada that I love and long to see more of and long for us to respect and appreciate. That is the Canada that is a village from sea to sea only made better from many people strengths. I too love the maple leaf, my sister and I too believe that we are all brothers and sister. We are each brother and sister and brothers and sisters have the great responsibility to be respectful of each other, to build up the other, to listen to each other and to foster the bonds of family so all may reach their fullest potential. This is where we are now at 150 and I wonder what holds us back and what must be strengthened to truly build up this home of ours… this great home, this village, the country we call Canada.  

With a glowing heart, celebrating freedom and standing up filled with pride I say:
O Canada…
may God keep our land
and may we find a 150 more reasons
to celebrate our home and native land.

Happy Canada Day!

 
 
 

No comments:

Post a Comment