Sunday 9 June 2013

Why? What? A Haircut?


Over the past week the three most common questions I have been asked are:

1. Why a Franciscan?

2. What is a Brother?

3. Do you have to shave your head?

Good questions… here are my answers.


1. Why a Franciscan?
Some of my reasons why include:

Focus on community.
 
Focus on serving.

Focus on living the gospel.
 
Focus on simplicity.
 
It feels like an extension of family and home.
 
There is an openness and acceptance for who I am and what I offer.
 
My passions, gifts and talents will be called out and utilized to their fullest.
 
There is a desire in me to follow in Francis’ passion to Rebuild the Church.
 
Work with people of faith, who love their faith and seek to deepen their faith.
 
An encountering with Jesus through deeper prayer, Liturgy and the Eucharist.
 
My desire to work with and serve the Liturgy of the Church and Retreats.
 
Francis’ creativity in crafting the Nativity Scene (crèche), the Stations of the Cross
and his love of nature, music and prayer.

 
2. What is a Brother?
Brother Gerry Clyne, ofm  once said: The quick answer is “A brother is a male nun.” People at least have a vague idea of what a Sister is. But a more precise definition would be that a brother is a male religious and one who is not ordained to the priesthood.

Religious are persons who are called by God to follow Christ by devoting their lives to God in prayer and in service to the Church, and to the world through the vows of Poverty, Chastity and Obedience and in communal life.

An article by Bonaventure Scully explains: Brothers have been an integral part of religious life. The brother is distinguished from the secular layperson by his consecration, his participation in a particular community and his participation in a ministry of the Church. Rather than presenting himself for ordination, the brother freely elects this state as his way of participating in the Church’s faith community. This is the brother’s way of responding to a call to live the gospel deeply, radically, publicly and in community.

 
3. Do you have to shave your head?
Well none of the Franciscan Friars I have met have shaved their heads in the style of Saint Francis. This style is known as a tonsure. The tonsure was once ‘it was a sign that a person had entered into a new stage.’ Other religions also use this hair-cutting practice, but it is not as common in the Catholic church anymore.

So my plan is not to shave my head, unless I start going bald! As information on the year ahead is presented there are plans for our group to do some type of a Fundraiser. Hmmm… maybe a head shaving project will generate some funds for a great cause. I know of 2 people already who I’m sure will give money just to see my head shaved. I have very supportive friends and family!  J But as of now, no shaving of head will take place, thank goodness for that!

No comments:

Post a Comment