Monday 24 June 2013

More Questions

Over the past week I have been in and out of a few classrooms in the Catholic Schools in which my ministry is connected to. While visiting these classrooms I have been doing a presentation on Saint Francis and the Franciscans. This has included some images, some history, a great cartoon short about A Day in the Life St. Francis (it's very funny but also captures the message of what Francis was about), we also play a Rebuild the Church relay and have prayed and sang together (thanks to the new awesome Youth Minister that our church hired). Throughout the presentation I have been asked some really great questions and thought I would share a few with you and also the answers.

1. Will you ever be able to come home?
     The answer is yes, I will be able to come home after Christmas for a short while and then again in the summer for some holidays and at other times for special family occasions. Believe me lots of visiting will take place.

2. So is being a Franciscan like a job?
    Not at all, being a Franciscan is a way of life. It is a way of life that embraces St. Francis' love of Jesus and the gospel. It is a way of life that allows me to share my gifts and talents in different forms of work and ministry. You never retire from being a Franciscan.

3. Do you get to keep your car?
    No, I do not get to keep my car, but the community of Brothers with whom I live have a car or two for us to share and use together.

4. What is a religious vow?
     An answer I have found that really makes sense to me and the children I was presenting to I found in a little pamphlet put out by the Redemptorists. It says, "a vow is a type of serious promise made before God. (it's a bit more technical than that, but that sums it up excellently) Brothers, Sisters and religious-community Priests take vows to give their lives to God by living the gospel in poverty, celibacy and obedience."

5. So what is poverty, celibacy and obedience?
    The above mentioned pamphlet gives these great explanations:
    Poverty - we share our goods in common and live a simple life, realizing that we depend on God. All money earned goes to support the community and it's ministries.
    Celibacy - we choose to love and serve God and all God's people, rather than to love one person exclusively. We offer our celibacy as witness and testimony to God's love.
    Obedience - we live in community and try to listen to and follow the will of God by taking part in the community's life, goals, hopes and work.

One of the greatest blessings about my work with our schools has been the great questions from our children and their desire to get to know more about God's superheroes the Saints. I appreciate their enthusiasm, kindness and support. I know I can count on their prayers for the journey ahead.

No comments:

Post a Comment