Monday 30 September 2013

Simple Pleasures


Simple pleasures really are becoming a big part of this journey and for that I am very thankful. Things that I maybe took for granted or my former schedule did not allow me to enjoy to the fullest have become great gifts. In no particular order, let me explain…

1.       Grocery Shopping! I love grocery shopping! Call it a product of my environment for the past 36 years. Blame it on the fact that for the first year of my life I lived above a grocery store or that I loved to play store as a child. You could say that because I have seen the under workings and the behind scenes of how a grocery store runs that it has influenced me. No matter what angle you look at it from, even when I’m frustrated with the fact that my parents owning a grocery store is sometimes very exhausting, I still love to grocery shop. Before I began this journey grocery shopping was at times my way to unwind, in this journey it is a way to build community. Weekly a small group of us go out to buy for the week. It is a mix of grocery store, farmers market and possible other stops. I am the weekly patron of the event! We have shared laughs, have helped determine which products are best for us and met the challenge of shopping for 10+ people. Then we come home and a joyful chaos unfolds as we unpack bags and find places for everything! I love it! Every minute of it! Fraternity at its best!
 

 

2.       Decorating! Anyone who knows me knows I love to decorate. Decorate a room, decorate a church, decorate a table, or decorate a shelf! I love to decorate! I love seasonal changes, I love room design, I love new spaces and I love new items to utilize. Since I have moved into our new home I have had the joy of rearranging my room, reconfiguring our front room, decorating the chapel, decorating for a birthday party and decorating my little shelf in my bedroom for a new season. (Look out Christmas time! J) This was one of my gifts I was most worried about not being able to utilize and share but our God is so awesome, God knew I would need to share my creativity. These moments allow me time to think, to ponder my studies, to explore and challenge my brain in a new ways! I love every minute of it! Creativity called forth!


 

3.       Organizing! Oh the challenges, the planning, the excitement and the joy of final details in place. I love to organize and plan. This gift has come in very handy over the past few weeks and will continue to do so. Organizing my stuff was the start, then came my schedule, then came my class (still trying to best organize my writing in this area), then came the candle cupboard and my last project has been the china cabinets. I got permission first, don’t worry! (I’m working on the vow of obedience!) Organizing allows me the opportunity to think outside the box, challenges me in ways similar to décor, but also allows me to be practical and detail driven. I love it! Functionality in full swing!
 

4.       Praying! The gift of prayer has been a part of my journey, well, since as far back as I can remember. Familiar prayers, personal prayers, intentions, Divine Office, shared prayer, quiet prayer, journaling, end of day prayer, it doesn’t matter. I can get caught up in it and in doing so I draw myself closer to Christ. It also helps me to see how I must make all I do flow from my prayer and become prayer. A challenge indeed but one so worth taking. Here we gather on a regular basis for prayer…Morning Prayer at 7:00 a.m., Mass at 7:30 a.m., Evening Prayer at 5:15 p.m., Meal Prayers, and in the day some quiet time on my own. In this alone time I pray for family and friends (I do so at the other times as well), I journal, I sit in quiet, I listen to a song, or I read scripture. Finally each night before I go to sleep I journal about my day with 3 questions… What am I thankful for? What brought me joy? Where did I see Christ? I then end with daily night time prayer and drift off to sleep. All blessings enriching my journey. I love the gift of prayer! It is the gift of poverty before my friend, brother and Savior. I can only offer who I am.




5.       Scripture Reading! Each day scripture fills more and more of it. Scripture has fascinated me for a long time but in this setting I seem to hear it more clearly. Words jump out, reflections take me deeper, rereading it brings more clarity and desire to know more. This gift is just starting to take root and I pray it strengthens. Scripture really does offer it all from big drama, to great advice, to gentle reminders, to strength and comfort, to joy, to intimate moments, to romance and to life-giving words. As scripture becomes a greater part of my day, our community is also watching a Bible Series right now. I must admit this is a great way to come to embrace and understand it more and more! I have loved scripture and will continue to love it more.

September 30 happens to be the Feast Day of Saint Jerome, who had a living and tender love for Sacred Scripture (as the Collect prayed). I will close with a few lines from scripture that I had the privilege to proclaim today on his feast day, they caught my attention, sparked my interested and called out my imagination.

“Thus says the Lord of hosts: Old men and old women shall again sit in the streets of Jerusalem, each with staff in hand because of their great age. And the streets of the city shall be full of boys and girls playing in the streets. I will be their God, in faithfulness and in righteousness.” – Zechariah 8.1-8

Is that not a beautiful image of community? Of hope? Of God’s love?


I hope your simple pleasures bring you closer to our awesome God!

1 comment:

  1. Keep up the posting! I get more information from you now... I love the weekly updates. It is a pleasure I look forward to every Tuesday morning! God bless you! We are praying for you!

    ReplyDelete