Monday 9 September 2013

The Rubber Hits the Road...The Gospel Brought to Life

Saint Francis always said that we were to bring the Gospel to life. In the last week I have seen it brought to life, have been challenged to live it more and have been encouraged in my journey. Let me explain…
 
I live in a house with 8 other men, 6 of them are Friars and 3 of us are the journey to hopefully join them as solemnly professed Brothers. Two of our Brothers are in their 90’s, they both offer so much to our community – it is inspiring. The older of the two joins us for meals and prayers. He has great stories and insights to share. His laughter is infectious and his quick wit keeps us on our toes. The other Brother does not join us, as one of our other Brother says he is ‘living as a hermit in a fraternity’. Yet he contributes in other ways… he does slowly make his way to join us for Mass each day, and then he disappears for the day. He spends most of his day by himself in prayer and contemplation, but also walking the streets of our city. He is well known as being the Franciscan of the Street.

After living here for nearly two weeks, the two of us finally met up in the kitchen one night. At the fridge door for about 30 minutes I was immersed in the Gospel. He spoke of the foundation I need, the humility that is needed to be a Brother, the need to rely on the Spirit and how we must desire to become more like Christ. Our short conversation which was me mostly listening left me intrigued, enthused and I had grown as a human, a Christian and a Franciscan. He reminded me to pray to my guardian angel each day (thank you Mom for teaching me that prayer as a child and for telling me about awesome Saint Michael). He also reminded me that the Franciscans don’t make me, I come to them as I am; they are a shell, a means for me to develop, grow and mature in my relationship with Jesus. I wish I could have recorded the conversation, it was one of those ones you want to take notes on and playback when you are looking for inspiration.

The Gospel was brought to life, I am thankful for God moments.
 

Last week also saw me begin in two of my ministry opportunities. I had the chance to begin my weekly ministry with the Soup Kitchen. It really was my first time in such a situation. I have toured a soup kitchen, I have prayed in one, I have even chopped vegetables in the back of one, but I have never been on the front line. I was thrown into the mix quite quickly and was serving soup, clearing tables and talking to the guests. It was an interesting morning to say the least. The one thing that kept running through my mind was ‘these are my brothers and sisters who are guests at my table’. I tried to share lots of smiles and kindness.

That same day I also walked into a Care Home for an interview and began my ministry there within the interview. The Volunteer Coordinator was so Christ-centered. She was driven out of love and compassion and hospitality. After my interview and as the tour of the facility was ending, she introduced me to a group that was enjoying coffee. They happened to be a group of Sisters (nuns), well before you know it I had a chair pulled up at the table and we are sharing stories and discovering a shared journey. After that visit I was then sent to visit an elderly priest. We visited briefly and I left in gratitude for the gift of life.

The challenge of living the Gospel, I am thankful for God moments.
 

Also during the week I had the great privilege of meeting another community of the Poor Clares (so much joy there), had supper with some of our Brothers from a nearby community, Skyped with a dear friend, chatted with my Grandparents, parents and family, and received a few e-mails that made the flame burn brighter. I have had the chance to do some faith sharing with my fellow Postulants, have laughed and cooked and prayed and pondered and celebrated life in community. I was reminded to be a modern saint and to continue to share the love. That message came at the right time and I picked up my cross again joyfully and hope-filled.

The encouragement of the Gospel, I am thankful for God moments.
 

The journey continues, the rubber has hit the road… and the Gospel is engulfing my life more and more… this is not a race, it truly is a journey... I need to remember that.
 
'Start by doing what's necessary; then do what's possible and suddenly you are doing the impossible.' - St. Francis

No comments:

Post a Comment