Tuesday 30 July 2013

Ponderings and Packing

            Human life is marked with all kinds of beginnings: birthdays, weddings, anniversaries, retirements, farewell parties…

Over the past week a lot has happened, I have wrapped up my ministry as a Pastoral Assistant, I have helped to plan a First Mass in a new church (which is absolutely gorgeous!), I have enjoyed an awesome farewell party, I have cleaned out my apartment, moved out of it and have started to unpack and organize my belongings and life for both a temporary and permanent stay at my parent’s place. I am also dealing with wrapping up details that come with a move and looking ahead to my Postulancy year which begins in 20 days.

In the mix of last week I found out I will have another classmate this year, so there will be nine of us living in the Friary. That is exciting! All I know is his name, so another adventure awaits as I will be meeting more people in the next month that will really help shape my next year.

As I reflect on the last week, the many blessings and fond memories that my farewell from the parish brought to my attention, the following prayer has been playing through my mind over and over again. This prayer is accredited to Oscar Romero but was written by +Bishop Ken Untener of Saginaw. This prayer has long been a favorite of mine and at this moment in my journey it seems to speak volumes.

It helps, now and then, to step back and take a long view.
The kingdom is not only beyond our efforts, it is even beyond our vision.
We accomplish in our lifetime only a tiny fraction of the magnificent
enterprise that is God's work. Nothing we do is complete,

which is a way of saying that the Kingdom always lies beyond us.
No statement says all that could be said.
No prayer fully expresses our faith.
No confession brings perfection.
No pastoral visit brings wholeness.
No program accomplishes the Church's mission.
No set of goals and objectives includes everything.
This is what we are about.
We plant the seeds that one day will grow.
We water seeds already planted, knowing that they hold future promise.
We lay foundations that will need further development.
We provide yeast that produces far beyond our capabilities.
We cannot do everything, and there is a sense of liberation in realizing that.

This enables us to do something, and to do it very well.
It may be incomplete, but it is a beginning, a step along the way, an
opportunity for the Lord's grace to enter and do the rest.
We may never see the end results,

but that is the difference between the master builder and the worker.
We are workers, not master builders; ministers, not messiahs.
We are prophets of a future not our own.


I will be forever grateful for my years at Resurrection. I could never be all and do all at the parish but for me the last lines of this prayer best describe my time there. I always tried to live from the reality that I was a worker and minister not a master builder or messiah. My ministry was always about others, helping others share their gifts, helping others to shine their light and reflect Christ into our world. It was never about me, always about Christ and always will be about Christ. I am so grateful for the many I worked with, ministered with, dreamed with, planned with, created with, prayed with and celebrated with. The gift of community and the Eucharist is such a source of strength, hope and courage… I take these with me as I begin my Postulancy year and know that we are united because of these gifts.

As the next chapter begins to open up a bit more I leave you with these thoughts…

Blessings                            
Peace in the journey.
Peace in the living.
Peace in the life given.

Hope in the discoveries.
Hope in the experiences.
Hope in the gift of life.
 
Love in the relationships.
Love in the sharing.
Love in the beautiful life.
 
Joy in the path trodden.
Joy in the growth and building.
Joy in the awe of life.
 
Christ in the all of each day.
Christ in the challenges and blessings.
Christ in the life that is me.

May peace be yours, may hope be rooted in your heart, may love be your guide, may joy be awakened in you each day and may Christ bless you all always. God Bless you and Thank you.

No comments:

Post a Comment